North Wales & Liverpool



When you're crossing the English Channel from Calais, France, on a ferry, the first thing you see as you're approaching Britain is the White Cliffs of Dover (I'll post some pictures of them on a second session of oldies). For me, this was the first glimpse I ever caught of this land.

Later on, I got to spend a day in Ramsgate and Dover and completely fell in love with the beaches here. They are far from the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen (they hardly compare to the ones in Greece), but all seaside towns in Britain have this quirky charm that I simply love. Especially on weekends: everybody goes out for a walk and the whole family eats fish and chips on a bench, while their terrier digs a whole in the sand. It's like a permanent holiday.

This weekend I got to see Barmouth and Porthmadog and a small part of Snowdonia in Wales, Beaumaris in Anglesey, Llandudno and last, but not least, Liverpool. We'd planned a Welsh weekend, but Liverpool was closer than Cardiff, so we said, what the hell, why not. We strolled from the city center to Albert Dock, had some fries at a pub and ended up in front of the gates of Anfield. Then got home, safe and sound, in good old Birmingham, and had a beer at the Hare of the Dog.

I wonder where should I go next. I was thinking of Inverness or Cornwall. Or maybe Belfast. Suggestions?

PS: How the hell do you pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyll?

IMG_0003 (Large)

On the way to Barmouth

IMG_0068 (Large)

Dilly and Coco on the beach of Barmouth

IMG_0045 (Large)

IMG_0015 (Large)

IMG_0038 (Large)

IMG_0059 (Large)

Barmouth beach. The tide was low

IMG_0097 (Large)

Porthmadog


IMG_0107 (Large)

Beaumaris

IMG_0144 (Large)

IMG_0118 (Large)

IMG_0129 (Large)

Llandudno

IMG_0231 (Large)

Liverpool

IMG_0258 (Large)

Liverpool Memorial

Comments

Popular Posts